Monday, April 12, 2010

Entry 10 - reading day 8

Genesis 25 & 26

Dear Reader,

In chapter 25, there was much discussion of how Esau and Jacob had sibling rivalry. This rivalry was supported by the parents, because the each claimed a favorite Esau was Isaac’s while Rebecca liked Jacob best. In modern parenting, having a “favorite” child is discouraged, because it leads to unbalanced people, but back in the day not so much was known about psychology. The result of this is that Jacob tricked Esau into giving up his rights as first born so that Jacob would feed him when he was hungry. This was hardly brotherly and I have a feeling the ramification of this action going to come up soon.

In chapter 26, again the issue came up of someone (Isaac) claiming his wife was his sister. And poor old Abimelech was the victim again. At least, he didn’t try to claim Rebecca as his own, as he had with Sarah. You would think husbands would learn by now to stop asking their wives to lie about martial status. I’ve counted three times now and I’m only half way through book 1. And it’s not like it ever works out well or every that any man has tried to harm the husbands, it’s just that the husbands are afraid of that.

In yet another plot twist I see coming up, Esau’s parents (neither of them) like his choice of wife. I don’t know what’s wrong with the woman, just had they are “grieved” by the choice. I do know, however, that’s it’s not good to have your parents dislike your mate. That was true then and is true now.

I’m proud of myself for hanging in with the Bible thus far. Today is my midway marker through the first book. Sadly, I counted today and there are 66 books! I’ll be involved with this project until 2011 at least, even if I read a chapter per day.

But I have other things going on. I figure God doesn’t mind how long it takes me, as long as I do it and I’m faithful and honest in my reporting of it. Happy to report, I’m not an atheist. This reading has actually served to affirm my faith. I can almost see my atheist friend cringing at those words, but it’s true. I will not write anything I see as untrue here. It would defeat the purpose.

The second half of Genesis awaits. “Onward, onward,” said the overeager lay theologian, before realizing she had other work to do and an early morning.

2 comments:

  1. God knew psychology when he made us. Why didn't he say something?

    The misogyny and general nastiness of the book so far encourages your faith?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martina, I really appreciate the way you think about the texts. You do not take them at face value, but try to bring them into the moment. You know that God is working toward good, even when the Bible authors record differently, and you use that attitude to discover a blessing in the midst of really ugly stuff. Keep watching. Keep reading. Keep reflecting.
    peace,
    todd

    ReplyDelete