Saturday, June 26, 2010

Entry 37: Exodus 26-32

Dear Reader,

Chapters 26-30 were more build it this way between God and Moses. I just don't get it. Perhaps it is like my Arizonam grandma artist friend says, "Maybe, without t.v. and iPhones, etc. life was more boring and God had less to do, therefore, finding much free time to devote to cooking recipe details, clothing details, services details and temple planning," Otherwise I can't explain it.

In chapter 31, the Sabbath was discussed. You are not supposed to work. But I think that working on Sunday is okay for me as I enjoy it. In fact, writing is play for me as much as it is work. I would not work in an office on Sundays that just seems disrespectful. Play on Sunday is fine just not unneeded work Doctors, nurses, personal care assistants, fire fighters, police can all work because their jobs are to prevent suffering or harm, as the Lord instructed earlier in this same chapter.

In Chapter 32, when we return to the narrative arch and away from the list of wants, Moses is vexed when he finds the people doing things God has forbidden. He destroys the instruction pages on which God's instructions were written. This reminds me more of temper tantrumming child than a holy man.

I have 7 chapters to go. I hope to get done tomorrow. However, my realist side knows it will probably be Monday.

Eight more chapters

5 comments:

  1. I can explain it: The bible was written by a series of human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know LOTS of people who are 'vexed' by people doing things that God has forbidden. Preachers, evangelicals, grandparents, parents, movie star agents, imams and rabbis, etc. Too many to name.

    And yes, the world has changed so much, we are not all NOT tilling fields on Sundays like in the old days. And some workers are absolutely required to break God's commandment to rest on the Sabbath, we cannot even agree on which is the Sabbath day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the kids who lived for free in Jewish apartment buildings in the '70s, friends of mine, so that they could turn on and off lights and ovens and appliances for their Orthodox neighbors who could do none of that on the Sabbath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are two sides to it - the Lord gave them a Sabbath as blessing. They had been slaving away 7 days a week while in Egypt, now they get a whole day off where the boss can't tell you to work even if he wants you to.

    The other side - God has extra religious activities on the Sabbath (double the number of animal sacrifices given at the temple) - He wants them to have a free day to worship Him. Incidentally, the priests had a ton MORE work to do on the Sabbath, with all the extra animals to be sacrificed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Moses is vexed when he finds the people doing things God has forbidden. He destroys the instruction pages on which God's instructions were written. This reminds me more of temper tantrumming child than a holy man."

    Remember where this goes down in the plot-line. In chapter 19, God told them if they "obeyed him fully" (i.e. all of the laws of last few chapters, and those yet to come in Leviticus and Deuteronomy), they would be His special people. Their response? "All that the LORD has spoken we will do." Now, only a few chapters later, they have broken that agreement - and Moses in turn breaks the tablets the agreement were written on. So I would say more symbolic of the broken covenant that a temper tantrum. Though I'm sure he was ticked, too.

    ReplyDelete